Managing Director / Publisher De Bestuurder
In three words: Entrepreneurial, Creative, Family man
This interview has been translated, the original language is: Dutch
- What are you proud of?
- the fact that with my established media platform, De Bestuurder, we are able to bring together people who, through good governance, want to make their organisations evolve in their societal and economic role in a more sustainable way.
- In your free time, what do you like to do most?
- Spending time with family on a fun day trip, practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for a few hours to clear my head, or having a delicious barbecue with family and close friends.
- Did you know that I…
- I once blessed a Scottish charity event in a kilt ... proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJedYt2aq5E
- Where would you go in a time machine and with whom/why?
- With Elon Musk, I would like to go back to England in 1750, when the industrial revolution was in full swing. I would like to ask him to help think about a more climate-friendly industry.
- What is your favourite movie?
- The Founder: The entrepreneurial story of Ray Kroc, founder of McDonald's
- What book would you recommend?
- When I'm on holiday, I can relax with Lee Child's books about the former soldier Jack Reacher, who has many adventures. I was extremely disappointed that Tom Cruise was chosen twice to play him in the movies. He is the exact opposite of the original hero of the book. On a professional level, I enjoy reading books from Lannoo Campus such as "Geheimen uit de bestuurskamer" (Herman Daems) or "Why Innovation Fails" (Joachim De Vos).
- Can you recommend a good restaurant?
- De Vijfhoek in Sint-Katelijne-Waver. When I was a teenager, it was a local pub where the bar owner Swa served a fresh pint according to the rules of the game. Today his son Kenny Bernaers works in the kitchen. Kenny worked a.o. for Gordon Ramsey and Yves Mattagne and has a no-nonsense menu with top quality.
- Do you have another cool tip for us?
- Opt as much as possible for artisanal products and tradesmen. Every Saturday morning I get in my car at 6.30 a.m. to visit a traditional baker 10 km from us, Het Broodhuys, which is also found in Putte and Beerzel. They bake their own sourdough bread in the traditional way, they make the vanilla cream for their pastries and their croissants are always crispy. If you're in the Brussels area, you should also visit Yves Guns.
Last but not least
- What is your favourite quote?
- 'Daring ideas are like chessmen moved forward; they may be beaten, but they may start a winning game'.
- Who would you like to see in this section?
- My good friend Dirk Soetens, research manager at VAR. With him, I travel to Scotland every year to discover good whisky and reflect on the world of media. Not always in that order, fortunately 😉 .
Market Intelligence manager
In three words: loyal, analytical, trust
: Black (I used to drink it with milk but without is actually tastier, I must admit)